Select Your Location
Wokingham town means ‘Wocca's people's home', located nearly 63 km to the west of capital city, London. The population of the town has 31,000 people approximately. This is a market town as well. Wokingham was a borough prior to 1974 when the local government was reorganized. The Wokingham District merged with Wokingham Rural District in 1974. The Wokingham achieved borough status in 2007
Northern Wokingham was a seprated part of Wiltshire in past which further extended into the centre of the town. The area is under the control of Bean Oak, Norreys and Dowlesgreen estates. It became the part of Berkshire in 1844. The existing parish was divided into urban and rural civil divisions in 1894.
Wokingham did not expand as per the The Municipal Corporation Act of 1835. The Act underwent reforms in 1883. Due to the Local Government Act 1972, Wokingham Rural District and Wokingham merged. They formed the non-metropolitan district of Wokingham in 1972. In 1998, the city develops as unitary authority. The city has 54 elected councilors administered by an elected councilor. They have responsibility to configure the district and chairs of all the meetings in one year. The elections happens in 3 out of 4 years for the Chairman Councillor. The Conservative party has been in the seat with majority since 2002. The Shute End is place of Council Offices in Wokingham
It is situated in the Emm Brook kin the London Valley in central Berkshire, Wokingham. The town is situated at 33 miles west of central London. The city is between the towns of Bracknell and Reading. Earlier, the western front of the Windsor Forest of the Wokingham was a piece of agricultural land. The soil of Wokingham is rich in loam. The subsoil of region has sand and gravel.
The Wokingham town centre is filled with residential areas in most of the directions. They are home to Dowlesgreen, Norreys, Keephatch and Bean Oak in the residential areas of the east, Woosehill in the west are and In the northwest is Emmbrook. In south, the areas include Eastheath and Wescott. Other residential areas include Luckley, Woodcray and Green have been present for a long time
The last 80 years saw a lot of development in Wokingham. Woosehill and Dowlesgreen developed on farmland from 1960’s to 1970’s. Bean Oak developed in the same period. Keephatch built in the '90s. The Norreys Estate came into existence in the 1960s. However, the oldest residential road built in the 1940’s. Norreys Avenue designed as horseshoe. It is located on Norreys Manor (now demolished). Owing to this, Much of the manufactured houses were styled such as 1940’s.The town is also home for some brick houses. There are three blocks for police residential quarters.
Wokingham is also place to number of charities groups. The list are as follows: